I want to know more about opening a licensed AFH

Interested in making a difference in the lives of others while making a living in your own home? If so, our communities have a need for additional adult foster home care providers. If you meet the qualifications, this may be your opportunity to open your own business.

If this interests you, please read through the Consider a New Career as an Adult Foster Home Provider brochure. The brochure will give you a quick overview of what this program is all about.

Want to know more?
The very first thing you want to do is attend an orientation that is specific to:
• Where you want to open your adult foster home, and
• Who you want to care for in your adult foster home.

If you want to open your adult foster home to care for seniors and adults with physical disabilities in the Oregon counties of Clatsop, Marion, Polk, Tillamook and Yamhill, you’re in the right place. AFH Licensing staff at NorthWest Senior & Disability Services provide this orientation. At the orientation you will receive all the information and forms you need to continue the application process.

1. What is the first step to opening an Adult Foster Home?

The first step is attending an Adult Foster Home Orientation. Licensing staff conduct the required orientation once a month at either our Salem office located at 3410 Cherry Ave NE, Salem, OR 97303 or our McMinnville office located at 300 SW Hill Rd, McMinnville, OR 97128 .  Pre-registration is required. Call 503-304-3473 and ask for Emily Saggs.

2. How long will it take to open an Adult Foster Home?

Typically, it takes 60 days to become licensed, once your completed application and non-refundable fee is received. Your application is not complete until all of the required application information is submitted.

3. What can I do now?

If you’re already sure you want to work on getting a license, there is one thing you can start working on before your orientation:

Before obtaining a license you will be required to attend provider basic training and pass an exam. This class is called “Ensuring Quality Care”.  Find an EQC class on the provider tools website.

4. Is there a need for Adult Foster Homes?

Yes, there is always a need for adult foster homes that provide individuals necessary care in a homelike environment, while emphasizing independence, choice, dignity and decision making.

5. How much will I get paid?

There are two payment options. One option is private pay, where the resident has a contract with you to pay a certain amount of money each month in return for specific care and services.

The other option is Medicaid. The resident’s Case Manager will determine the total amount to be paid by Medicaid for their care. This determination will be based on the resident’s care needs.


6. In what counties does NWSDS license Adult Foster Homes?

Clatsop, Marion, Polk, Tillamook and Yamhill Counties.

7. What kind of Adult Foster Homes does NWSDS license?

NWSDS licenses Commercial and Limited Adult Foster Homes for seniors and people with disabilities.

8. How can I get information on opening an Adult Foster Home now?

Call us at 503-304-3400 or Toll Free at 1-800-469-8772. Ask for licensing.

9. How do I reach an Adult Foster Home licensor?

Call us at 503-304-3400 or Toll Free at 1-800-469-8772. Ask for licensing.

10. How many people can live in an Adult Foster Home?

The maximum number of residents that you are allowed to care for in an adult foster home is 5. Exceptions can be made for additional residents if there are relatives of the licensee who need care and the licensee resides in the home in which the care is being provided. Exceptions can also be made for room and board residents or perhaps people needing adult day care.



Comments are closed.